Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2024

ONTARIO LANGUAGE CURRICULUM (2023): Nouns

With the implementation of the new Ontario Language Curriculum (2023) there has been a main focus on B2. Foundations of Language where the phonics instruction expectations are outlined. While I have spent the last three years focusing on crafting my phonics instruction and this year my board has provided many tools to help with that, I want to bring attention to B3. Language Conventions for Reading and Writing. While I have always taught nouns, I am now expected to teach collective and abstract nouns. This concept was really new to me and I thought I would share some activities I used in my class to teach abstract and collective nouns.



What is an abstract noun? An abstract noun is a feeling or an idea you cannot touch. For example, kindness is an abstract noun. I like to use the five senses to help teach abstract nouns. Colourfulness is an abstract noun that you can see. Melody is an abstract noun you can hear. Softness is an abstract noun you can feel. Deliciousness is an abstract noun you can taste. Freshness is an abstract noun you can smell. I usually give my students a person and I have them fill in the correct abstract noun with the correct sense.

Art attack activity: I then connect abstract nouns with art by letting my students pick an abstract noun such as love and have them create a collage representing that abstract noun.

Collective Nouns: This unit is great to teach when teaching Grade 2 Science Life Systems Growth and Changes in Animals. We brainstorm what different groups of animals are called. For example, a pride is a collective noun for a group of lions. I print out matching cards and give them to groups to mix up. They have to match the picture to the correct group of collective nouns.


I hope these ideas help you teach the Ontario Language (2023) curriculum, including B3. Language Conventions for Reading and Writing. If you are interested in these activities to help you teach abstract and collective nouns to your grade 2 students, please click the link here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10