Pages

Monday, July 18, 2022

GRADE 2 ONTARIO MATH: SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING

It is summer now, a time to reset and recharge for most teachers. However, like most teachers, I can't help but reflect upon the previous year. The many great lessons I taught and the lessons I need to tweak. With COVID-19 protocols changing throughout the year, group work and partner work wasn't a main focus. This year, I am hoping we won't have any changes to protocols (wishful thinking) and I can start the year off teaching with partner and group work activities.

I like to include partner and group work with social emotional learning. When students feel comfortable in answering questions and making mistakes in math class they will enjoy working with others knowing it is okay to make mistakes. Mistakes are proof we are trying. 

So how can I incorporate social emotional learning with group work and partner work? Here are some ideas I have:

My students have all loved Brain Pop videos! Here is a video I plan to share with my students about Conflict Resolution:


After watching this video, I plan on giving my students a magic key activity. Using math tiles/snap cubes, students work together in partners. They create a barrier using a book and one partner uses tiles to create a key. They then have to describe their key to their partner to see if they can create the same one. Partners take turns.  I will also have students use an emoji spectrum to help them reflect on how they worked with their partner. To get this activity, you can purchase these activities at my store. Click the image below!
To have my students work in groups, I plan to give them an open-ended task. In groups, students are going to agree upon a number between 10-50 (for older grades you can change the benchmarks) and they have to represent their number in as many ways as they can. Each group member must show one way of representing the number.

Lastly, to have my students reflect upon these activities, I plan to have my students create an emotion intensity chart. After each activity, they can mark where their emotions were when completing the activity. I included a blank emotion intensity chart in my product on TpT and I plan to have my students put theirs in a page protector so we can use them throughout the year. To learn more about the Emotion Intensity Chart, watch this video:


How do you plan to help your students prepare for making mistakes in math? How do you plan to work in group work and partner work with social emotional learning? Let me know in the comments below.

Thanks,
Tara




No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10